In Foundation, we follow the Statutory Framework for the Early Years Foundation Stage, published in March 2021 by the DfE and effective from 1st September 2021.
This Framework specifies the requirement for learning and development in the Early Years and provides specific areas of learning we must cover in our curriculum. These areas are:
- Personal, Social and Emotional Development
- Physical Development.
- Communication and Language development
- Understanding the World
- Expressive Arts and Design
Four guiding principles shape our practice in early years. These are that:
• that every child is a unique child, who is constantly learning and can be resilient, capable, confident and self-assured
• children learn to be strong and independent through positive relationships
• children learn and develop well in enabling environments with teaching and support from adults, who respond to their individual interests and needs and help them to build their learning over time. Children benefit from a strong partnership between practitioners and parents and/or carers.
• importance of learning and development. Children develop and learn at different rates.
The framework covers the education and care of all children in early years provision, including children with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND).
The children spend lots of their time discovering in the entire unit, including the outdoor area which is separated off from the main school playground and the field.
The team provide enjoyable, appropriately challenging activities that ensure that every child progresses in their learning. Observations are made of the children's interests, development and learning, to inform planning. Members of staff continually assess how they can adapt the learning environment to best cater for the changing needs of each child.
We hold transition events to welcome our new pupils into Reception.
Parents and carers are invited to a transition meeting as well as transition days for children to visit their class and meet their new teachers and other pupils.